Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:37:00 PM

Author Topic: Italy, Genova, Liguria, Ne, Miniera di Gambatesa  (Read 3832 times)

FdW

• Administrator
  • Care for who cares...
Re: Italy, Genova, Liguria, Ne, Miniera di Gambatesa
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 02:18:42 PM »
In Liguria, just a few kilometers from the sea, the Gambatesa museum is located in a typical mountain environment, protected and enhancend by the Aveto Natural and Regional Park. The Gambatesa mine complex represents the Europe’s biggest deposit of manganese. The mine has been active uninterruptedly from 1872 until 2012. Gambatesa was the first example on national territory of an active mining accessible to the public, and its museum took place in 2000. The Gambatesa mining site, with its heritage and finds, has been declared a cultural asset of the State and has managed to maintain all the peculiarities and the original characteristics of the site. The visitor that today decides to visit the mining museum has the opportunity to enter the mine with the original miner’s train convoy aboard of minerals wagons suitably modified for the transportation of visitors and travel by foot about 300 meters of tunnels, accompanied by mining guides formed over 20 years of experience. The museum is the mountain itsself, with its hypgean world, a true testimony of the hard work and sacrifice of hundreds of miners who laboriously pulled one of its most precious fruits from its mother’s womb: an army of heros, whose feats are narrated by tunnels, wooden armor, wagons and frozen mechanical shovels on their last day of work
https://www.strahlen.org/forum/index.php/topic,27293.0.html