Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 09:35:33 AM

Linked Events

• Tucson 22nd Street: January 25, 2024 - February 11, 2024
  • Tucson PGMS: January 25, 2024 - February 06, 2024
  • Tucson TMCS: January 26, 2024 - February 10, 2024
  • Tucson Miners Coop: January 26, 2024 - February 11, 2024
  • Tucson TGMS: February 08, 2024 - February 11, 2024

Author Topic: Tucson (AZ)  (Read 83786 times)

Re: Tucson (AZ)
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 01:31:02 PM »
Yes, interesting discussion. As long somebody spends 500$ for a mineral I would not talk of recession...spending 5000$ seems silly to me (TO ME!!!). Still I am not much interested in Mexiko or Arizona. Priority would have Frankling & Co, Mountain Pass and Sudbury region. Although Pachuca in Mexiko might be interesting. There is a type of tank used for hydrometallurgical extraction of ores called "Pachuca" tank. So Pachuca is the type locality...for a tank. Is that cool? If you go there make a million photos...

Cheers,
Stefan

PS The Wismut used Pachuca tanks for uranium extraction...

FdW

• Administrator
  • Care for who cares...
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 01:06:48 PM »
Huh? In Arizona and Mexico the sun always shines ;-)
I plan to combine it with both...
And I plan to have fun, whatever happens...

Interesting discussion here http://www.mindat.org/mesg-6-119420.html

Cheers!

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 08:56:27 AM »
Recession? Its more the number of vacation days which is quite low and must be distributed according to a priority list. No change to "waste" 3-5 days for Tucson although I would like to see it. Would be better if the show would be in spring or autumn, then the trip could be combined with some other mineral tours....

Cheers,
Stefan

FdW

• Administrator
  • Care for who cares...
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 08:20:25 AM »
nobody going to tucson?
is the recession hitting hard?
cheers!

FdW

• Administrator
  • Care for who cares...
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 08:57:39 AM »
first... http://www.westwardminerals.com/
and then... mineral oddities... http://www.tgms.org/

anyone from here already planning to go there?
I'll be there ;-)
Anyone who wants to join?

Bert de Ruiter

• Growing older
    • Macro Wereld, my other hobby
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 07:35:06 AM »
Hi there Doug,

It sounds like you had a very busy week, according to your story. Good to hear that your presentation was well received. I hope to see some pictures of your trip and your new minerals here on the forum.

Greetz from Bert

Doug Merson

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 03:19:01 AM »
I just got back from Tucson late last night.

Words and photos will never do justice to the minerals on display. We spent Thursday looking at the displays at the main show. In almost seven hours we did not see everything. I did take lots of photos. After getting back to the motel and downloading them I was not happy with them.

On Friday we went to the micromount symposium where I gave my presentation. It seemed to be well received. There were also talks on New England micro minerals by Van King, The RRUFF Project by Robert Downs, and Alabama phosphates by Henery Barwood.

On Saturday I returned to the main show with a different lens and a flash and reshot many of the photos. I now have to get them on this computer and see what I have. My wife did not accompany me on Saturaday as she was not feeling well. It was a cold she started the trip with, not the bug making the rounds at Tucson. I did meet Gail and several other folks from Mindat.

I enjoyed looking at the great minerals offered by various dealers. My only purchases were nine micromounts from England for $50.00 and two newly described species from Mont Saint-Hilaire hand deliverd by the Horvaths. It was nice to meet them as I have been dealing with them for twenty years.

On Sunday we went out to the Arizona Sonara Desert Museum and spent the day viewing the fine exhibits there. This was more on the plants and animals found in the desert but the was a small but nice exhibit of minerals. We spent the night camped near there. On Monday it was on to the Old Reliable Mine near Mammoth where we collected some nice libethenite. I have just started to look at that under the scope. Will have photos later. On Tuesday we tried to find a zeolite spot but rain overnight had the stream we had to walk up running with too much water. Wednesday we were in northern Arizona where we collected some Apache tears near the campground. It was then onto Death Valley National Park. We spent Thursday exploring the park and camped there that night. It was rather windy most of the night and we were not sure the tent would stay up. it did. We started for home on Friday and had a 320 km drive through a snowstorm along the eastern Sierra Nevada mountains. We got out of the snow near Reno, Nevada. We spent the night in Susanville, California. When we left there Saturday morning we had about 80 km of icy roads to travel before we got to clear roads. We arrived home about 2230 after covering a bit over 1400 km in two days.

I also have a bunch of minerals from the giveaway table at the micro symposium to look over, trim and photograph.

It was a very good trip and the right year to go to Tucson for the first time.

Doug

FdW

• Administrator
  • Care for who cares...
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 10:56:41 PM »
mmmmmmm I love these shattuckite "seas"!
http://www.mineralshows.com/image/SHA6-image2.JPG

FdW

• Administrator
  • Care for who cares...
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 10:52:03 AM »

Anastasios Tsinidis

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 10:03:46 AM »
WOW :-o :-o :-o
Amazing display of one of a kind specimens!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations Gail and Jim!!
That sceptered turmaline.........help..... :-D!!!!!!

Jean-Marc Johannet

• Emmelberg-Sept 2009; Photo taken by PLR
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 09:07:32 AM »
About our two (at least) fellows strahlen.org members who were to Tucson, I haven't yet heard about Doug presentation but for sure I can say that this show was the Gail Spann one!!
With her husband, Jim, they won the Desautels trophy at the main show  :-o :-o :-o
Congatulations.
Jean-Marc.

Photo of their display

Jolyon article and video of their display

FdW

• Administrator
  • Care for who cares...
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 08:29:33 AM »
For all of those not in Tucson,
also from a little distance there's a lot to enjoy, thanks to Jolyon, Jordi and many others who have internet and a digital camera :-)
see http://www.mindat.org/article.php/199/Tucson+Show+2008+Preview%21
and http://www.fabreminerals.com/forum/Message-Board/viewtopic.php?t=177
Cheers!

FdW

• Administrator
  • Care for who cares...
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 11:56:25 AM »
thanks !

anyone from holland/belgium/germany/france flying into Tucson that I can hook up with from 9-17 feb? including a little mineral trip in the region.
I hate flying and need some support... ;-)

Doug Merson

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 06:09:07 AM »
Frank,

I will be in Tucson from the February 14 through 17. I will be at the Arthur Roe Micromount Symposium on Friday. February 15 as I have been asked to give a presentation on Pacific Northwest collecting. I will be talking about three collecting sites near Diamond Lake in Klamath County, Oregon. I plan on driving to Tucson so that I can get in some collecting during the trip.

Hope to see you there.
Doug

Gail Spann

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 06:11:05 PM »
I am going for sure. Will be staying at the Westward Look and enjoy the fun there prior to the mainshow.

FdW

• Administrator
  • Care for who cares...
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 03:44:41 PM »
any strahler flying into Tucson 2008 from February 14 - 17, 2008 ?
http://www.tgms.org/
http://www.tucsonshowguide.com/tsg/show_index.cfm
cheers!

Tucson (AZ)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 01:24:23 PM »
DEAR FRIENDS : WE JUST RETURNED FROM TUCSON , AND HAD THE CHANCE TO SEE DIFFERENT SHOWS.
IT IS IMPOSSIBLE WITH ONLY ONE LIFE TO BE ABLE TO SEE ALL WHAT THIS GIGANTIC SHOW-CITY HAS TO OFFER.
AS WE ARE AGATE COLLECTORS , WE ADJUSTED TO LOOK FOR AGATES ONLY.AMONG THE BEST WE SAW , THE ONE TO MENTION IS "THE GEM SHOP" THAT WAS ALSO PRESENT AT MÜNICH FAIR 2005 WITH MAGNIFICENT AGATES.

WE ALREADY APPLIED TO HAVE OUR SHOW-ROOM AT THE INN SUITES FOR YEAR 2007.
WHAT WILL WE EXHIBIT? YES!!! AGATES.
GREETINGS FROM ARGENTINA
RICARDO & CLAUDIA BIRNIE